According to the draft Local Plan the overall development at Brookfield (incorporating both Brookfield Riverside and Brookfield Garden Village) will encompass the following principles:
- To create a sustainable and integrated mixed use garden suburb that will accommodate retail, leisure, civic, housing, jobs and social facilities;
- To create an identity and sense of place for Brookfield and Broxbourne;
- To create a strengthened and cohesive retail centre and a new leisure and civic centre for Broxbourne;
- To achieve a step change in the economy of Broxbourne and increase the area’s attractiveness as a place to live in, invest in and visit;
- To address traffic congestion and to create sustainable patterns of movement within Brookfield, together with the rest of the Borough;
- To achieve exceptional standards of design and sustainability;
- To retain and enhance the landscape and ecology of the Brookfield area.
The creation of a retail and leisure-led ‘town centre’ to provide an identity and sense of place for Brookfield and the Borough of Broxbourne.
The approach to the design of the site, its buildings and public realm will need to be focused on the delivery of the highest quality place and the most sustainable form of development, creating a cohesive town centre and a flagship destination that retains and enhances the landscape and ecology of the Brookfield area.
The development will need to address traffic congestion and to create sustainable patterns of movement within Brookfield and the remainder of the borough, and to create a strong linkage between Brookfield Riverside and the proposed Garden Village development.