In 2017 the Borough of Broxbourne published the final full draft of the Local Plan for Broxbourne, outlining elements of the long-term development strategy for the Borough. An ambitious timetable has been set for the Plan’s completion, with Examination in Public (EiP) proposed for summer / autumn 2018 prior to final adoption.
Plan showing the wider Brookfield development, with the Garden Village site outlined in blue and the Brookfield Riverside masterplan area outlined in red.
Brookfield Riverside is highlighted as a main component of the development strategy, seeking to create a ‘vibrant centre’ that strengthens the identity of the Borough.
Brookfield Riverside is stated as a policy priority for the Borough and this is reflected in Policy BR1: Brookfield, of the draft Local Plan. The Policy sets out the following requirements in relation to the Brookfield Riverside masterplan:
- Up to 30,000 square metres net retail comparison floorspace;
- Circa 3,500 square metres retail convenience floorspace;
- Up to 10,000 square metres leisure floorspace;
- Exceptional quality public realm;
- Car parking;
- Easy pedestrian connectivity to the existing Brookfield Centre and Brookfield Retail Park and proposed Brookfield Garden Village;
- Circa 250 new homes;
- A civic centre;
- 40% affordable homes;
- Elderly persons accommodation;
- Business campus with c. 30,000-50,000 square metres floorspace; and Cheshunt Park
- New community woodland.